On the river Camlin and on the main Dublin Sligo Road. It seems to have come into existence sometime in the 14th century. It is the County's administrative center and also is a very busy business town. Some places of interest in the town include St. Mel's Cathedral built in the 1840's in Renaissance style; sadly on Christmas morning 2009, St. Mel's experienced a devastating fire and it is closed pending renovations. Longford Museum opened in 1991, Renaissance style courthouse which dates to 1791; modern library; St. Mel's College; Celtic Cross on Market Square which commemorates 284 Longford Men killed in World War
Situated: Dublin 78 miles, Sligo 58 miles, Athlone 29 miles.
Edgeworthstown, Meathes Truim, Elder - tree Fruit
On the main Dublin Sligo road at the junction of the N4 and N55 is Edgeworthstown called after the Edgeworth family who settled here in 1583. Local attractions include Edgeworthstown House (now the Manor) and the Edgeworth family vault in which well known 18th century writer Maria Edgworth is interred.
Granard, Greinard, Ugly Height - Hill of the Sun
This town was burned three times, first in 1315 by the Scots commanded by Edward Bruce. It is Longford's most northerly town situated on high ground near the Mote of Granard, The Royal residence of Cairbre, eldest son of Niall the Great. In recent years its famous sons Eddie Macken, Brenden O'Reilly and Larry Cunningham have put Granard on the map.
Ballymahon, Baile Mathma, McMahonstown
Named after McMahon, King ogf Thomond, who won a battle there in 960 A.D. Situated on the river Inny and on the main North South Route. Good Business town which has managed to retain its old identity.
Abbylara, Mainstir Leathratha, Abbey of The Half Rath
It is the most easterly village in Co. Longford. Here were buried many of the O'Farrells, Princes of Anhaile. Local attractions include Cistorcain Abbey, Druidic circles and angling at Lough Kinale. Found in this lake beside the village in 1987 was The Lough Kinale Book Shrine, now in the National Museum
Abbeyshrule, Mainistir Stuthain, Abbey by the Stream
Founded in 1150 to replace an earlier church destroyed by the Danes in 952. Situated on the river Inny in the Parish of Carrickedmond.
Ardagh, Ard-Achach, High Plain or Field
A village rich in historical background and dates from the 5th century. It has won the National Tidy Town Award in 1989, 1996 and 1999, also many other Irish and European awards. The Diocese of Ardagh, of which St. Mel became first Bishop, derives its name from the village.
Aughnacliff, Achadh na gCrannach, Field of the Trees
This pleasant village in the parish of Colmcille is located near Lough Gowna. It is the site of an ancient Cromleck.
Balinalee, Beal Ata Na Laogh, Mouth of the Ford of Calves
Balinalee was formerly called St. Johnstown after a Monastery that was erected here and dedicated to St. John the Baptist. It is the birthplace of General Sean McEoin "The Blacksmith of Balinalee"
Ballinamuck, Beal Ata Na Muice, Mouth of the Ford of the Pigs
Historic village, scene of the Battle of Ballinmuck in 1798 in which the French Irish forces under General Humbert were defeated by the English army of General Blake, depicted in the film The Year of the French.
Named after St. Barry, located in the Parish of Carrickedmond beside the ruins of Barry Castle which was leveled to the ground in 1295.
Carrickboy, Corrick Bhuidehe, Yellow Book
In the Parish of Legan on the main Ballymahon to Edgeworthstown Road N55. A pleasant village with some interesting views from the vicinity.
Clondra, Cluain Da Rath, The Pasturage of Two Forts
Situated on the main Longford Strokestown Road . It is where the Royal Canal flows into a cut stone harbor known as Richmond Harbour and links to the River Shannon.
Drumlish, Druim Lis, Ridge or Long hill of the Forth
The Parish was founded here in 1822. It is situated six miles North of Longford Town. From Corn Hill, beside the village, there is a superb view of the surrounding countryside.
Ennybegs, Eonaigh Bega, Little Marshes
Situated in the Parish of Killoe (the church of the Yew Tree) Close by is Carrickglass Manor, of early Victorian Architecture built in 1857.
Forgney, Feorgnaidh, An Edifice
In the 6th century this area had a bishop called St. Munis, who was a brother of St. Mel of Ardagh. Legend has it there was a large lake called the lake of Forgney which disappeared in response to St. Patrick's prayers. This is the Parish in which Pallace is situated where Oliver Goldsmith was born.
Keneagh, Caonach, Mossy
Clough situated in a townland of one Cartron on the Ballymahon Longford road. Gives its name to the Parish of Kilcormack. In this parish is the ancient track road of Conlea Bog excavated by Professor Barry Raftery of U.C.D. in 1988.
Kilashee,Cill a' Sidhe, Church of the Hill
Its ancient name was Achadhcaorthain, the field of the Rowan Tree. Situated 3 miles Southwest of Longford Town on the main Longford Lanesboro Road.
This area was granted by Charles II Royal Charter to Captain George Lane about 1667 from which Lanesboro derives its name. A very pleasant tourist town at the northern end Of Lough Ree on the River Shannon.
Legan or Lenamore, Liagain, A Standing Stone
Situated on the Co. Westmeath border in East Longford. Just northeast of the village is the striking ruins of Foxhall House and the famous Stone Man of Foxhall 1634. At Killean is the Ogham, inscribed stone dating back to the early 7th century and Lady Well at Legan Rock.
Moydow, Magh Dumha, Plain of the Mound
Its ancient name was Cill-Modhint after St. Modhints church that was destroyed by fire in 1155. (St. Modhint died in 591) Also in this area are the ruins of the oldest nunnery in Ireland.
Newtowncashel, Cor Na Dumcha, Round Hill of The Cauldron
Situated on the east shore of Lough Ree in South Longford. A well kept village that won the Bord Failte Tidy Towns award and National C.A.R.E. award in 1988. Newtowncashel is also an important crafts center.
Newtownforbes, Lios Breac, Speckled Fort, Castle Forbes
Situated 3 miles northwest of Longford Town on the main Longford Sligo road. In the Village is the Beautiful castle Castleforbes, dating from the 17th century
Moyne,Maighin, Little PlainIn
In the extreme north of Co. Longford lies the village of Moyne, an area much favored by angling enthusiasts and is a tourist area in it's own right.
Tashinny,Teach Sinigh, St. Shineach's Church
A very old village situated in the Parish of Carrickedmond 4 miles northwest of Ballymahon